Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Blacklisted, but not BALEETED...

Tragedy is upon me, dear readers...

Our school (my workplace) is trying out a new, internal content filter to replace(?) the proxy we currently use. Not sure exactly why, but that's beside the point.

What's troubling to me is that every blog on blogspot has been blocked. Including mine. If you're reading this, probably including yours too.

Now, I understand the concerns that we as a district have with so called "social networking sites". (I myself have written about why I don't like them, for different reasons.) It is all too easy for predatory users to find personal information on junior-high and high-school-aged kids and exploit them. I understand and agree with the blocking (from school campus computers) sites like myspace, xanga, and their ilk. If kids want to piss away their time giving virtual shout-outs and back-pats to all their homies, they can do it at home. They should reserve school time for school work, in my opinion.

The difference is that blogspot is primarily for web logging, not for social schmoozing. It's what interactive internet should be more about--the free and easy interchange of ideas.

Hopefully as the technology (and the user base) gain more knowledge of the situation, the restrictions will relax. Until then, it's sort of touch-and-go for me, both in my writing and my reading of all your stuff.

So if this is the last hurrah for My Blog Has Worms, know that it has been a pleasure sharing with you my life and ideas, and I am grateful that you have also shared them with me...

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:05:00 PM, Blogger Jeffrey L Watts said...

I see your district is know implementing what has been the norm here in the Ken-Tenn area school districts for over a year now.

Don't give up fellow blogger, you can freely surf/post from home.

 
At Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:08:00 AM, Blogger johnseeking said...

That would be all well-and-good, but my wife and I are also currently planning to kill our home internet access, for (a) budget reasons, and (b) we never use it, mostly because when we're not taking care of our kids, we're spending time together (or sleeping.)

I guess there's always the public library...
(shudderGERMSshudder)

 
At Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:51:00 AM, Blogger Twisted Lady said...

Oh no!

No internet?

I would die.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home